Thanks for stopping by!!! Please leave comments!

Friday, July 24, 2009

Doubt comes naturally..... right?

Matthew 14:31 (NIV)

31Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?"

Tonight this verse speaks so loudly to me. After spending a week with family and friends in Oklahoma and preparing for our journey back to California, I must tell you this trip is harder than ever. I find myself in doubt. I know deep down that God has told us to go to California, in fact we sold everything except what would fit into a 6x12 trailer and went. But it has been tough... finding a job, finding a church home, finding a place of our own, etc. These things in addition to the great times we have been able to share with friends and family while we have been here definitely make it easy to doubt. I feel like I can relate to Peter in a whole new way tonight, you see for me the boat represents Oklahoma and the water represents His calling to California. What has changed? nothing.. except sometimes I think we prefer to stay in the boat because it in some weird way feels safe. Right now staying here in Oklahoma feels safe but we are already in the water (California) and as I doubt and find myself sinking I can feel His hand reaching out to me and saying "you of little faith". I know He has an amazing plan for my wife and I, and very soon I will hear Him say the rest of this scripture to me.... "why did you doubt?"

What does all this babbling mean....? What it reminds me is that we are natural born doubters. Jesus is calling all of us to step out of the boat, our safe place and walk on the water. Not only that but lets take it a step further. He is also showing us a picture of His faithfulness. He will not let us drown in the depths of the water or the unknown. God is still God and that is enough to overcome any doubts. My prayer is that we at some point in our lives get out of the boat..... until then we will never walk on water.

No comments: